Current:Home > ScamsAlgosensey|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Excel Wealth Summit
Algosensey|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 18:32:33
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Algosenseyagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (16284)
Related
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Jockeys Irving Moncada, Emmanuel Giles injured after falling off horses at Churchill Downs
- Billy Idol says he's 'California sober': 'I'm not the same drug addicted person'
- Horoscopes Today, May 2, 2024
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- A North Dakota man is sentenced to 15 years in connection with shooting at officers
- Ozzy Osbourne says he's receiving stem cell treatments amid health struggles
- Are Boston Bruins going to blow it again? William Nylander, Maple Leafs force Game 7
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- What are PFAS? 'Forever chemicals' are common and dangerous.
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Ohio launches effort to clean up voter rolls ahead of November’s presidential election
- The gates at the iconic Kentucky Derby will officially open May 4th | The Excerpt
- San Francisco sea lions swarm Pier 39, the most gathered in 15 years: See drone video
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Brittney Griner 'Coming Home' interview shows not just her ordeal in Russia, but her humanity
- The gates at the iconic Kentucky Derby will officially open May 4th | The Excerpt
- Defense chiefs from US, Australia, Japan and Philippines vow to deepen cooperation
Recommendation
Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
Arizona governor’s signing of abortion law repeal follows political fight by women lawmakers
U.K. government shares video of first migrant detentions under controversial Rwanda plan, calls it a milestone
A North Carolina man is charged with mailing an antisemitic threat to a Georgia rabbi
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
Michael Cohen hasn’t taken the stand in Trump’s hush money trial. But jurors are hearing his words
IRS says its number of audits is about to surge. Here's who the agency is targeting.
Yellen says threats to democracy risk US economic growth, an indirect jab at Trump